Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Children's Church Act 1

The church I attend has a few children who have reached Sunday School age, so I volunteered to teach a children's church once a month.  I find that small children are easier to teach than high school age (except for the lack of attention span) because 1.) they like songs 2.) they like crafts 3.) they like you, generally, and think you are exciting even if you are just drawing stick figures 4.) they are easily bribed with treats 5.) they are funny 6.) sometimes they ask really good questions 7.) they are not thinking about dating 8.) they believe in God.  Our first lesson was on Creation, and when I was talking about how God created people, one little boy shared his deep thoughts: "I have thought about this, and I just keep thinking how could my mother's mother have a mother?  But she does!  Grandma Sue has a mother!"  His sister said, "Everyone has a mother.  Well, except Adam and Eve."  And of course, one bright girl asked "But where did the other people come from, that Cain married."  I just told her I don't know and I don't know why the Bible doesn't tell us.  (I didn't want to say share the speculation that the gene pool was broad enough that brothers and sisters could marry, and I didn't want them to think it up on their own.)  So we ate Peeps and memorized Genesis 1:1, although one little girl just says John 3:16 instead.  Which is fine.  She just thinks that it's the only memory verse.  Next session:  Noah's Ark, with playdough.

No comments:

Post a Comment