Sunday, February 26, 2012

Let Them Eat Cake

My family always celebrates birthdays.   Mom, of course, gets a little less birthday than everyone else, because she handles the rest of them and my Dad and I aren't as amazing as she is.   Still, there is always cake and ice cream and a few little gifts.  We sing two versions of the birthday song, we photograph the blowing out of candles, we admire new clothes and snacks.  Our birthdays are all bunched together in the fall and winter so we end up having a lot of dessert October through February.  Normally this isn't a problem,  as there are a lot of us.  But as of recently, NO ONE EATS CAKE.  My brothers are on specific healthy athletes' diets, and so the cake is just sitting there getting stale.

 Compounding the problem, my Mom and I took a cake decorating class, so we made a cake or cupcakes every week for four weeks.  And no one will eat them!  We keep inviting people over so we can give them cake and send some home for their families.  Baking is pointless now, because no one will eat the results.  What will I do to feel domestic and productive?  Who will indulge in the deliciousness of baked temptation?  To those chiseled bodies earned by hours at the gym, I say congratulations.  But I also say, life is short...eat my cake!

1 comment: