Sunday, February 26, 2012

Caution to the Wind

He had planned to buy a mouth guard, but didn't see one he wanted.  So he just strapped on a helmet.  This text, an hour after they left the house:  "Ha ha, I just broke my teeth."  I thought "ha ha" meant it was a minor chip.  I didn't realize he meant he broke them out of his mouth.  So I didn't do anything.  Then he walked in the house with a bloody face.

This can all be traced back to me.  I introduced my Jared to the other Jared, two hurricanes joining forces.  And they went to ride trick bikes, so confident in their sinewy muscles and the invincibility of youth.  But there's a fine line between courage and foolhardiness, and if you tilt your weight over the handlebars too far your face will learn it.  Modern dentistry had just enough tooth left to attach temporary crowns after two root canals.  The final teeth will be attached in two weeks.

The night after the accident he clicked "purchase" on the bike he'd chosen before his first ride.  "It's like a bronco; you have to get right back on."  Meanwhile, Jared 2 is reconsidering the wisdom in this phrase "If I'm not scaring myself, it's not a good ride."

No comments:

Post a Comment